this site is run by fanciers for faciers of racing, show and fancy pigeons.
 
HomeHome  PortalPortal  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  Velocity Calculator.Velocity Calculator.  

Share | 
 

 grits and minerals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin
avatar

Posts : 192
Join date : 2010-10-02

PostSubject: grits and minerals    Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:22 pm

what grits and minerals doyou use ? i use matrix the birds seem to love it they go to that before they go to the feed every time. I only put it down twice a week as they seem to gurge themselfs
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://thepigeonholecom.forumotions.net
David

avatar

Posts : 297
Join date : 2010-10-02
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Sat Oct 09, 2010 9:28 pm

hi rene, i also use matrix.....ive used it for the last couple of years and give about a teaspoon for each pair in there nest box, and for the ybs i give in pots on the floor roughly the same measures.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fletch

avatar

Posts : 1317
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 37
Location : tipton

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:38 pm

i have a tub of grit in stock loft all the while topt up evrey 3 days or so

use matrix evrery 3 day to
and put black and pink minerals nevery 2 or 3 days,

i find that the minerals are good but not used to ofyten as can cause over drinking if they can get them all time
Back to top Go down
View user profile
David

avatar

Posts : 297
Join date : 2010-10-02
Location : Leeds

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Mon Nov 01, 2010 12:55 am

have found my birds can gorge on grit etc when feeding ybs, so best to not give too much as it seems to give mine loose droppings........
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pages-pigeons

avatar

Posts : 218
Join date : 2010-10-28
Age : 38
Location : derby

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:24 am

my stock birds and ybs have grit/minerals just like there water fresh everyday just a small bit in a clay pot
my racers get there minerals in there box just a pinch every 3 days roughly and grit same as stock/ybs
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alan harrison

avatar

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 56
Location : stockton -on -tees

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:47 pm

grit and minerals in all lofts at all times,i have hered that some fanciers dont use grit in the winter months
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pages-pigeons

avatar

Posts : 218
Join date : 2010-10-28
Age : 38
Location : derby

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:58 pm

Admin wrote:
what grits and minerals doyou use ? i use matrix the birds seem to love it they go to that before they go to the feed every time. I only put it down twice a week as they seem to gurge themselfs



i got a tub of that matrix from the farm the other day put a pot full in all my sections all pots were empty by next day? boy do they love it
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fletch

avatar

Posts : 1317
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 37
Location : tipton

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Thu Nov 04, 2010 9:06 pm

pages-pigeons wrote:
Admin wrote:
what grits and minerals doyou use ? i use matrix the birds seem to love it they go to that before they go to the feed every time. I only put it down twice a week as they seem to gurge themselfs



i got a tub of that matrix from the farm the other day put a pot full in all my sections all pots were empty by next day? boy do they love it

yes mate they do
Back to top Go down
View user profile
jj



Posts : 99
Join date : 2010-10-12
Location : here on the computer silly

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:39 am

after reading this post and noticed more members used the stuff matrix i decided to buy some i couldnt belive how quick the ate it they went to the grit and gorged them selfs on it dose any members know why ? i have had grit and minerals in front of them 24/7 but didnt touch it as much as this matrix confused
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fletch

avatar

Posts : 1317
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 37
Location : tipton

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:35 pm

jj wrote:
after reading this post and noticed more members used the stuff matrix i decided to buy some i couldnt belive how quick the ate it they went to the grit and gorged them selfs on it dose any members know why ? i have had grit and minerals in front of them 24/7 but didnt touch it as much as this matrix confused




yes mate its the aniseed that they love thats the smell and taste
and to be honest we like aniseed
Back to top Go down
View user profile
pages-pigeons

avatar

Posts : 218
Join date : 2010-10-28
Age : 38
Location : derby

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:56 pm

fletchlives wrote:
jj wrote:
after reading this post and noticed more members used the stuff matrix i decided to buy some i couldnt belive how quick the ate it they went to the grit and gorged them selfs on it dose any members know why ? i have had grit and minerals in front of them 24/7 but didnt touch it as much as this matrix confused




yes mate its the aniseed that they love thats the smell and taste
and to be honest we like aniseed


my stock birds have gone mad for it,they were checking there bowl out to see if id filled it up i think i could get birds to trap better using that?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
chocolate



Posts : 13
Join date : 2010-11-09
Age : 50
Location : gawthorpe west yorks

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:22 am

birds need grit n minerals in winter your hens even more you,ll find if your birds dont get it they,ll be a fair few clear eggs in your 1st round
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fletch

avatar

Posts : 1317
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 37
Location : tipton

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:30 pm

chocolate wrote:
birds need grit n minerals in winter your hens even more you,ll find if your birds dont get it they,ll be a fair few clear eggs in your 1st round



well said mate
Back to top Go down
View user profile
alan harrison

avatar

Posts : 1389
Join date : 2010-10-11
Age : 56
Location : stockton -on -tees

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:57 pm

fletchlives wrote:
chocolate wrote:
birds need grit n minerals in winter your hens even more you,ll find if your birds dont get it they,ll be a fair few clear eggs in your 1st round



well said mate

agree mate but looked at a video on utube by a top fancier in the midlands and he nevr puts grit in,i was amazed.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
fletch

avatar

Posts : 1317
Join date : 2010-10-17
Age : 37
Location : tipton

PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:37 am

alan harrison wrote:
fletchlives wrote:
chocolate wrote:
birds need grit n minerals in winter your hens even more you,ll find if your birds dont get it they,ll be a fair few clear eggs in your 1st round



well said mate

agree mate but looked at a video on utube by a top fancier in the midlands and he nevr puts grit in,i was amazed.


iagreemte cant see the benifit of not using grit
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: grits and minerals    

Back to top Go down
 
grits and minerals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Pigeon Hole.com :: General Discussions.-
Jump to: